Sweet Potato Bread Pudding (Gluten Free)
Easy to make and healthier than its rich taste suggests, this dessert is a clever alternative to pumpkin pie. It’s delicious alone or topped with Decadent Bourbon Sauce. It can be made several days ahead and stored in the refrigerator; reheat just before serving. INGREDIENTS:
5 cups plain gluten-free bread, sliced and cut into 1-inch cubes
⅔ cup pecans, chopped, optional
2 large eggs
1¾ cups coconut milk (not low fat)
¼ cup organic milk (or lactose free milk, coconut, rice, hemp, or almond milk)
1½ cup puréed, cooked and peeled sweet potatoes*
6 tablespoons dark agave syrup or maple syrup
1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1 tablespoon bourbon or apple cider
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1½ teaspoons ground nutmeg + ½ teaspoon ground cloves
⅔ cup raisins, plumped in boiling water for 5 minutes and drained
3 tablespoons butter or dairy-free substitute
1 tablespoon turbinado, sucanat or raw sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Spread bread cubes over prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, stirring once to toast all sides.
3. If using, spread pecans in a metal baking pan and bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Let cool and then chop.
4. Whisk together eggs, coconut milk, milk, sweet potatoes, agave syrup, vanilla extract and bourbon in a large bowl. Add spices. Stir in toasted bread cubes and raisins. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Keep oven set at 325 degrees. Place 3 tablespoons butter in 2-quart baking pan and set pan in oven for a couple minutes to melt butter.
6. Remove pan from oven and spread melted butter to cover bottom. Add soaked bread mixture, sprinkling top with sugar.
7. Return pan to preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Then increase oven temperature to 425 degrees and bake for additional 12 to 15 minutes until pudding is firm and lightly browned.
Each serving contains 335 calories, 17g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 47mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 5g protein.
*TIP Pressed for time? Use canned yams, drained then puréed.
Make It Memorable Sauce
MAKES ABOUT ¾ CUP
Spoon over squares of warm bread pudding and serve immediately.
5 tablespoons lactose free milk, coconut milk or almond or rice milk
¼ cup raw turbinado sugar
3 tablespoons bourbon or apple cider
2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt or dairy-free yogurt (coconut, soy, rice)
1. Whisk all ingredients together.
2. Chill sauce in the refrigerator until served.
Each tablespoon contains 33 calories, 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g protein.