Makes 30 Macaroons
Chocolate-Dipped Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Macaroons
Egg-free macaroons are sweetened without sugar. quick and easy to make--and delicious! Drizzled with dark chocolate. For flavor variation, replace the vanilla extract with 1¼ teaspoons orange extract for Coconut Orange Macaroons.
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
⅓ cup honey or agave nectar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup potato starch
3 cups unsweetened medium or finely shredded coconut
4 ounces dark semisweet dark chocolate coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Liberally grease a large cookie sheet and line with parchment.
2. In a medium bowl, blend coconut milk, honey and vanilla until well combined.
3. Add potato starch a little at a time, beating to combine. Fold in the coconut.
4. Drop batter by level tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet at least ½ inch apart. Using your fingers or the back of two soup spoons, press each mound of batter upward into a cone-like shape.
5. Bake in preheated oven on center rack until firm and lightly golden, about 20 to 24 minutes. Remove macaroons from cookie sheet by slipping a thin metal spatula under the edge of each cookie and carefully sawing back and forth. Refrigerate macaroons until very firm.
6. Melt chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat. Remove from heat. One at a time, spoon chocolate over the top of each macaroon. Place each chocolate-coated macaroon on a parchment-lined tray. Repeat with remaining macaroons. Refrigerate until set.
When cool, layer macaroons on parchment paper in a tightly covered container. Store in refrigerator. Enjoy!